The Happy Planet Index is a Ted video in which statistician Nic Marks asks why we measure a nation’s success by its productivity, instead of the happiness and well being of its people. The video has more than a million views and if you haven’t seen it yet, I suggest you watch it here: http://www.ted.com/talks/nic_marks_the_happy_planet_index
In his presentation, Nic Marks offers 5 simple ways to get happy.
1) Connect - to the people around you
2) Get Active - step outside, go for a walk
3) Take Notice - soak in the beauty around you
4) Keep Learning - new recipes, new language, etc
5) Give - selflessly, to those around you
I love how these 5 ways to get happy, can also be interpreted in our Yoga practice.
1) Connect - to your breath, to your body, to the community around you
2) Get Active - engage in your practice physically, mentally, emotionally
3) Take Notice - stay present, and when your mind does wander, notice where it goes
4) Keep Learning - stay curious and open to the potential of discovering something new
5) Give - to yourself by committing to your practice, and in doing so, you will be at a greater disposition to give generously and genuinely the people around you